Oral Cancer Screening, Forest Hills, NY, Bellerose NY
Our practice is not only dedicated to your smile, we're also dedicated to your overall wellness. We take a holistic approach to your dental care, which includes an oral cancer screening as a part of your regular exam. Like any kind of cancer, oral cancer can be life threatening if not diagnosed and treated early. You are the most important factor in the early diagnosis of oral cancer through routine screenings.
We have the skills to ensure that early signs and symptoms of oral cancer and pre-cancerous conditions are identified. While these symptoms may be caused by other, less serious problems, it is very important to visit our office to rule out the possibility of oral cancer. The most common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Red or white spots or sores anywhere in the oral cavity
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal
- A lump, thickening or rough spot
- Pain, tenderness or numbness anywhere in the mouth or on the lips
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
Dr. Levine and her staff are trained to perform a simple, quick screening which involves an examination of your oral cavity as a whole and not just your teeth to detect cancerous and pre-cancerous conditions. Besides a visual examination of your nouth, we will also feel the tissue of your mouth and throat to detect any abnormalities. If we find an area of concern, we will refer you to a specialist for further consultation and analysis.
Aside from receiving an oral cancer screening during your checkup at our office, there are things you can do to help prevent oral cancer.
- Avoid tobacco products and only drink alcohol in moderation.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit your exposure to the sun and always wear UV-A/B-blocking sun protective lotions on your skin as well as your lips.
- During your next dental appointment, ask your dentist to perform an oral cancer screening. This can lead to early detection of oral cancer and improve your chance of successful treatment.